51°FOvercastFull Forecast

House fire displaces Channahon family

Published: Monday, Dec. 12, 2011 3:00 p.m. CDT

CHANNAHON — A Channahon family was relocated from their home after it caught fire Friday evening.

Lieutenant Jake Randich from the Channahon Fire Department said the cause of the fire at 24038 Green Heron Drive has not yet been confirmed, but it is suspected to have been a dryer fire.

"Nationally, dryer fires are not uncommon," Channahon Fire Chief David Riddle said. He said Channahon does not get many calls for that type of fire, however.

Riddle said many people regularly clean the "easy lint trap" on their dryers, the lint trap on top of the dryer, but many do not regularly clean the exhaust lint trap.

"You need to keep an eye on that," Riddle said. "But we don't know if that's what happened here."

Randich said it does appear the fire originated in the utility room in the basement of the home.

No one was injured, but there was charring and burning in the basement and smoke damage throughout the rest of the house. Riddle said the house was not in danger of collapsing.

The Channahon Fire Protection District was assisted by the Minooka, Troy and Plainfield Fire Protection Districts, Randich said.

Anyone interested in donating to the family can do so at any Harris Bank location to "The Latta Family Fire Fund."

Channahon has a Harris branch at 24745 West Eames St. and Minooka has one at 207 West Mondamin St.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Morris Daily Herald.

More News