Sean Ford was burning some vegetation around his Coal City home Thursday, April 12, when he noticed a bush smoldering near the residence.
Coal City Fire Chief James Sheldon said Ford attempted to put out the fire on the bush, but while inside his home a little more than two hours later, he saw smoke inside. Ford then called 9-1-1.
As Coal City firefighters responded shortly before 3 p.m. Thursday, they were able to see smoke and fire coming from the roof of the residence at 8700 E. Mallard Lane.
The fire had risen from the bush, up the siding on the house and into the walls.
"It was coming out of the eaves when we go there," Sheldon said. "Then we opened up the walls and the siding and extinguished the fire."
Firefighters were able to keep the fire spread to a minimum.
Minor damage, estimated at about $10,000, was done to the home.
"Because of Mr. Ford's diligence in reporting this fire, it truly saved his house," Sheldon said. "This fire was contained to a small area; it could have had a very different outcome."
The fire was determined to be accidental and no injuries were reported.
Coal City received mutual aid due to limited accessible water supply in the area from Braidwood, Morris, Wilmington and Channahon fire protection districts, but was able to return the responding units shortly after they arrived on the scene.
For more safety information about this or other topics please visit www.ccfire.net.