Digital Access

Digital Access
Access from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Mail Delivery

Mail Delivery
We’ve got you covered! Get the best in local news, sports, community events, with focus on what’s coming up for the weekend. Weekly packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Have our latest news, sports and obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in Morris and Grundy County.

Small fire at REG facility quickly extinguished

SENECA — Area fire crews responded to a fire at REG’s biodiesel production facility Tuesday afternoon in Seneca.

Karen Osmond, firefighter for the Seneca Fire Department, confirmed the department responded to the incident at REG Seneca, which is located at 614 Shipyard Road, just after 12:20 p.m.

Seneca Fire was aided by the Marseilles Fire Protection District and Seneca Ambulance.

“There was a fire within the plant and the fire was extinguished,” she said. “Nobody was injured and it went very well, especially for an industrial (incident).”

Osmond said no firefighters or REG employees were injured in the incident.

“That was paramount,” she said.

REG Spokeswoman Alicia Clancy reported the incident involved a small fire in a utility shed on-site, which caused smoke that was visible from the scene.

Clancy said the fire was quickly extinguished by firefighters and stressed that all staff members, contractors and truck drivers were immediately accounted for and officials will be investigating the fire’s cause.

“We’re still in the post-event analysis trying to figure out what happened,” she said. “It will be awhile, but everyone is safe, everyone is evacuated.”

Clancy added that emergency responders were quick to arrive.

“They had the fire out very quickly and we appreciate their quick response,” she said.

The plant eventually received an all-clear notice at 1:45 p.m. and staff members were able to return to the facility before 2 p.m., she added. 

Loading more