Digital Access

Digital Access
Access morrisherald-news.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Mail Delivery

Mail Delivery
We’ve got you covered! Get the best in local news, sports, community events, with focus on what’s coming up for the weekend. Weekly packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Have our latest news, sports and obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in Morris and Grundy County.
Mobile

Dryer fire causes damage to home

Owner, child exit unharmed

Morris Fire Protection and Ambulance District fought a fire in the basement of a home on Washington Street that was caused by a dryer.

The fire department received a call just before 12:30 p.m. Monday to the home at 612 E. Washington St., said Chief Tracey Steffes. The homeowner and a child were able to get out of the residence unharmed. No injuries were reported.

There was minor fire damage to the home, but more smoke damage. The house damage is about $10,000, said Steffes.

"(The firefighters) did a great job advancing the hose line down the basement stairs into heavy smoke conditions and extinguished the fire," said Steffes in an email. "I am extremely proud of them. They kept the damage to the house to a minimum."

Minooka and Coal CIty fire departments assisted Morris.

Loading more