Mostly Cloudy and Breezy
35°FMostly Cloudy and BreezyFull Forecast

Attic fire heavily damages Morris home

Chief Steffes terms Wednesday night fire electrical, accidental

The Morris Fire Protection and Ambulance District responded to an attic fire Wednesday night that resulted in extensive damage, but not injuries.

Chief Tracey Steffes said the call came in at about 8 p.m. The fire was contained to the attic in a home at 521 Nettle Street.

The fire caused extensive damage in the attic, he said. Firefighters had to access the attic through the ceiling, causing more damage, in order to extinguish the fire. Steffes early Thursday estimated the fire caused a total of $50,000 in damage.

The fire was believed to be electrical and accidental, Steffes said. A neighbor said they smelled something about an hour and a half before the fire, but they believed it was from a fireplace.

There was one occupant in the house at the time of the fire who was outside of the structure when firefighters got on scene.

Minooka, Coal City, Mazon and Newark fire departments assisted the Morris fire department.


Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Morris Daily Herald.