Digital Access

Digital Access
Access morrisherald-news.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Mail Delivery

Mail Delivery
We’ve got you covered! Get the best in local news, sports, community events, with focus on what’s coming up for the weekend. Weekly packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Have our latest news, sports and obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in Morris and Grundy County.
State

Boy alerts firefighters to family overcome by carbon monoxide

(MCT) — Antioch fire officials are crediting a quick-thinking boy for alerting them in time to a family of four found unconscious in their home from carbon monoxide poisoning this morning.

The boy had gone to the home in the 1100 block of Bowles Road where his girlfriend lived with her sister and parents around 5:55 a.m. but got no answer at the door, said Antioch Fire Chief John Nixon. He looked through the living room window and saw his girlfriend's father passed out and called 911, Nixon said.

"He said no one was answering the door and he couldn't get in and he called in and said he could see a person laying down in the living room," Nixon said. "If it wasn't for this young man, I'm pretty sure we'd have a much worse outcome.

"He is (a hero), he had a lot to do with a good outcome so far."

Paramedics broke through the door and also found a person unconscious on the first floor, while firefighters found two other people unconscious in their beds. The family dog, a long-haired schnauzer, was also passed out, Nixon said.

All of the people in the home and the dog were revived, Nixon said. "They evacuated the patients from the house," he said, adding that the residents were taken in serious condition to hospitals.

The victims were out of the house and being treated by paramedics 16 minutes from the time the boy called, according to Nixon.

One of the adults and a child were taken to St. Catherine's Hospital in Kenosha and the other two were taken to Aurora Medical Center in Kenosha County, he said. The dog was given oxygen and taken to an animal hospital, Nixon said.

The readings of carbon monoxide were in the "high level," around 600 parts per million, which could be fatal, he said. Officials said they could not find any carbon monoxide detectors in the home.

Nixon said the cause of the poisoning is under investigation, but officials suspect a malfunctioning boiler.

Loading more