OTTAWA, Ill. — In order to share some of the information already discovered as part of the research for the Historic Structure Report, the Reddick Mansion Association invites people to visit the Mansion on Saturday, March 23, to look at photos and floor plans from throughout the Mansion’s 150-plus year history.
On that Saturday evening, starting at 7 p.m. and continuing throughout the evening, Ken Brookman will show his slides and photos from his 20-plus years as the chief custodian and maintenance man at the Reddick Mansion. His collection shows the first steps of the renovation and restoration of the Mansion, dating back to the mid-1970s.
A set of floor plans from 1961 will be on display. Donated to the Mansion Association by Larry Swanson, the plans were drawn by Louis Gerding’s architectural firm (and possibly traced from original floor plans of the building). The plans show bookcases in the West Parlors and the front checkout desk at the bottom of the central staircase on the main floor of the building.
Photos of the Mansion, dating back to 1885, will also be on display. The photos from 1885 are from Mr. Reddick’s funeral and show the East Parlors of the Mansion. These photos were the basis for the restoration of those rooms. A slide show of the renovations of the exterior of the Mansion will also be running throughout the evening.
Anne Sullivan, of Sullivan / Preservation, the firm preparing the Historic Structure Report, will be on hand, to ask questions about the Mansion and to answer questions about the process and progress of the report.
“Memories of the Mansion” is free. Refreshments will be served and people are encouraged to bring a photo or a story to share.