The tradition of a walk following the cross will continue this year on Good Friday, March 29.
It will begin at The Christian Youth Center of Morris at noon. At each location, participants will sing a hymn or chorus, hear the reading of one of the seven last statements that Jesus made during his crucifixion, listen to a very short devotion on that statement, and then sing together as they leave that house of worship and move on to the next.
There will be refreshments at the First United Methodist Church upon the completion of the Seventh Word.
Everyone is encouraged to participate and to learn more of the depth of our Lord’s gift for us as we have fellowship together and share in the common sacrifice of our Lord.
The schedule of locations and Final Words includes:
• Noon, Christian Youth Center, First Word: “Father forgive them, for they know not what not what they do.” (Luke 23:34)
• 12:20 p.m. CanalPort on Illinois Avenue, Second Word: “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.” (Luke 23:43)
• 12:40 p.m., St. Thomas Episcopal Church, Third Word: “Woman, behold you son. Behold your mother.” (John 19:26-27)
• 1 p.m., My Father’s House of Prayer, Fourth Word: “Eli Eli lama sabachthani?” (My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46)
• 1:20 p.m., Immaculate Conception Church, Fifth Word: “I thirst.” (John 19:28)
• 1:40 p.m. First Presbyterian Church, Sixth Word: “It is finished.” (John 19:30)
• 2 p.m., First United Methodist Church, Seventh Word: “Father, into Your hands I commend my Spirit.” (Luke 23:46)