Yesterday was day one of summer vacation for my kids and they were requesting food all day long, particularly sugary things. Here are some guidelines and ideas for healthy kid snacks this summer.
- Have scheduled snack times (mid-morning and mid-afternoon) and mealtimes.
- Ensure that kids eat food at their meals so they’re not asking for snacks soon after.
- Give healthy foods at meals and snacks; these are more likely to stick with them longer than less healthy snacks.
- Keep them busy; boredom makes them think they’re hungry.
- Keep them hydrated; a lot of times thirst can be mistaken for hunger.
- Have your kids help you make their snacks.
- Keep junky stuff out of the house; if it’s there they will want it.