Digital Access

Digital Access
Access from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Mail Delivery

Mail Delivery
We’ve got you covered! Get the best in local news, sports, community events, with focus on what’s coming up for the weekend. Weekly packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Have our latest news, sports and obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in Morris and Grundy County.
The Holiday Gift Auction is Live! Click here and bid now on great local gifts!
Nation & World

Gunmen abduct, then free, Libya's prime minister

CAIRO (MCT) — Libya slipped deeper into turmoil Thursday when gunmen staged a brief but brazen abduction of the country's prime minister, storming into a luxury hotel in the capital, Tripoli, and seizing him. He was freed hours later, Libya's state-run news agency reported.

The circumstances of Prime Minister Ali Zidan's release were not immediately clear. Earlier, the state Libyan Arab News Agency had said he was detained by a group called the Brigade for the Fight Against Crime, which is made up of former insurgents and has links to the fragile government.

The Reuters news agency said earlier that the group described its actions as an "arrest" in retaliation for alleged government collusion in a weekend U.S. raid resulting in the capture of a senior al-Qaida militant. Images that appeared on Al Arabiya television purported to show the prime minister being led by several armed men from the hotel, which he used as his residence.

Libya's Cabinet met in emergency session after the prime minister's disappearance.

The Libyan transitional government, shaky after only a year in power, had been on the defensive since American special forces slipped into Tripoli on Saturday and snatched Nazih Abdul Hamed Al Ruqai, whose nom de guerre is Abu Amas Al Liby. Wanted in connection with the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, he had a $5-million bounty on his head.

Zidan had publicly denied prior knowledge of the raid, and his government demanded an explanation from the Americans. But the prime minister's assertion was undercut by senior U.S. officials who said it had taken place with the tacit approval of the Libyan government. That triggered a burst of public anger over what was seen as a violation of Libya's sovereignty with government acquiescence.

Seeking to defuse the situation, Zidan had met late Wednesday with family members of Al Liby, and had called for him to be tried in Libya for any crimes. American officials said after the raid that Al Liby was being held in a secure location outside Libya, and suggested he might ultimately be taken to New York, where he has been indicted.

Even before this contretemps, Libya had been on a slide toward chaos. Since the capture and killing of Moammar Gadhafi two years ago, tribal factions and Islamist militias — some of them with murky links to the government — have grabbed what power and territory they can. Large swaths of the country are essentially ungoverned.

Zidan, who once lived in exile in Geneva, has sought Western help to stabilize the country, saying that militants have turned it to a weapons-smuggling hub.
(c)2013 Los Angeles Times

Loading more