Mostly Cloudy
67°FMostly CloudyFull Forecast
Pro Football Weekly Updated Draft Guide

Storefront sustains damage in fire

Published: Friday, Oct. 11, 2013 5:30 a.m. CDT

MORRIS – A small fire started Thursday morning in an empty storefront of a plaza on U.S. 6 when workers were doing some remodeling work with a torch.

Morris Fire Protection and Ambulance District were called to a fire about 11 a.m. at 425 E. U.S. 6. The fire started in a wall when workers were repairing water lines with a torch, Chief Tracey Steffes said. The fire made its way up to the ceiling and into the attic.

The fire itself caused about $5,000 in damage, he said, but the smoke caused more. The smoke made its way into China Buffet, which is also in the plaza, and the restaurant had to dispose of all its food and lost some business. Steffes said between the fire and smoke damage the loss was at about $25,000.

No one was injured and firefighters finished at the scene about an hour and a half later. Coal City and Minooka fire departments assisted.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Morris Daily Herald.