Digital Access

Digital Access
Access from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Mail Delivery

Mail Delivery
We’ve got you covered! Get the best in local news, sports, community events, with focus on what’s coming up for the weekend. Weekly packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Have our latest news, sports and obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in Morris and Grundy County.

'A total mystery': East St. Louis homeowner shocked to hear baby was tossed from window

EAST ST. LOUIS (MCT) -- The owner of the home where a mother allegedly threw her newborn baby out a bathroom window last month said he was shocked to hear what happened.

Walter May, who has lived at 570 N. 23rd St. for more than 35 years, said the mother of the child had been living in his home off and on for a little more than a year. He described her as a friend.

He said he and some of his friends were downstairs socializing when the woman allegedly tossed the baby out the window.

No charges have been filed against the 23-year-old woman, but the case is under advisement by St. Clair County State's Attorney Brendan Kelly. He said his office is awaiting results of toxicology and tissue reports.

"The allegations are disturbing and serious and are being investigated accordingly with the Child Death Task Force," Kelly said.

Police Chief Michael Floore said police were called to the home late Sept. 27.

Floore said the woman had wrapped the baby in some sheets and tossed him from a second-floor window. What led to the baby's death and the reason for the mother throwing the baby out of the window are under investigation, Floore said. He a said pathologist could not determine the cause of death.

May said he knew she had been in the bathroom for a long time, and wondered what she was doing but didn't bother asking because he didn't think it was his business.

May said he thought she had been pregnant about five or six months.

He said no one in the house that night knew anything about what occurred.

"It was a total mystery. I told the police the same thing," he said.

May said after the woman came out of the bathroom, she left his home and went on a date. When she returned, she told him she needed to go to the hospital. He said he asked her twice if she was sure. She told him that she was. His friend used his cellphone to call an ambulance.

A large group of police officers soon arrived.

May said the police searched more than three hours before they found the baby.

May said there wasn't any blood in the bathroom and her clothes were not bloody when she left the house.

He said when he learned what had happened: "It hurt me real bad. That's a baby. I like children. That was not right."

He said the woman is nice, friendly and easy to get along with. "She's just young," he said.

The woman could not be reached for comment. May said he hasn't seen the woman since she left his home three days after getting out of jail.

"When she needs somewhere to sleep, she comes here and I let her stay," he said. "She is my friend."

(c)2013 the Belleville News-Democrat (Belleville, Ill.)
Distributed by MCT Information Services

Loading more