46°FFog/MistFull Forecast
Chicago Cubs Commemorative Soft Cover Book

Coal City's season ends after 10-2 loss in regional

Published: Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2013 5:30 a.m. CST
(T.G. Smith –
Coal City junior Marco Scarpelli controls the soccer ball in a recent game. Coal City lost in the Class 1A Princeton Boys Soccer Regional to top-seeded Princeton.

TISKILWA – Not only did Princeton hold Coal City scoreless during the first half Tuesday, but the Tigers kept the Coalers from seriously threatening their net.

Coal City did break through for a few quality chances – and a pair of goals – in the second half, but by then, the outcome was more or less already determined.

Top-seeded Princeton won 10-2 over the Coalers in a semifinal match at the Class 1A Princeton Boys Soccer Regional.

Tyler Marvin contributed a career-high four goals to the Princeton cause – two in each half. The senior, who did not play soccer in 2012, said he has had “three or four” hat tricks this season.

“After we were done scoring the first two in the first half, just our touches were better and crosses, which helped out,” Marvin said. “It feels good.”

Dylan Schaefer scored the first of his three goals to break an 11:22 scoreless stretch at the beginning of the match.

Marvin then scored the second Princeton goal about four minutes later and the third less than a minute after that.

Goals by Jacob Estrada and Schaefer pushed the Princeton lead to 5-0 by the 18:04 mark of the second half.

“We came into this game with the mindset of we need to hold them at bay,” Coal City coach Todd Painter said. “Unfortunately, we were not able to start our regular starting defense today, and it kind of took a toll.”

Coal City did not put a shot on goal in the first half, but it needed less than three minutes in the second to end the shutout.

Following a Jacob Borgra corner kick, there was a scrum in front of the net. The ball deflected into the net off of a Princeton defender, with Clay Kauzlaric getting credit for the goal.

Less than a minute later, an own goal the other way added to the Princeton lead, and Marvin scored again before Eddie Frese notched the second Coal City goal on an assist from Andrew Elledge.

“It was just a pass in by Andrew Elledge. It was just a tap to a corner,” Frese said. “I think Clay [Kauzlaric] helped a lot [in the second half]. Just having a power forward, it was really nice. He was really good with the passes, he got a lot of crosses off.”

Goals by Marvin and Schaefer, the second of which came with 10:02 remaining, cut the Coalers’ season even shorter when the time remaining in the match was halved due to Princeton’s seven-goal lead.

Coal City finished its season 3-14-1 overall.

Previous Page|1|2|Next Page

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Morris Daily Herald.