48°FOvercastFull Forecast

Coal City battles but comes up short in hard-nosed game

Published: Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014 5:30 a.m. CST
(T.G. Smith – tsmith@shawmedia.com)
Coal City guard Brennen Shetina (right) lunges after a loose ball while Reed-Custer's Logan Zavala and Tyler Allen move for it for the Comets. Reed-Custer defeated Coal City, 78-68.

BRAIDWOOD – On its own, the second quarter of Friday night’s Coal City vs. Reed-Custer boys basketball game was worth the price of admission.

Throw in four quarters of up and down, back and forth, hard-nosed, chirpy game and what you wound up with was a 78-68 win by the hosting Comets.

Reed-Custer dominated the game early on and led Coal City, 19-12, at the end of the first quarter. However, the second quarter is where the action really heated up.

The second segment started with Coalers’ coach being assessed a technical foul. The game stayed around that margin until a hard foul by Coal City put Logan Zavala on the free throw line for the Comets. Zavala sank both.

The game stayed at 10 points until Coal City went on a 10-2 run that was capped by Coaler center Nick Peters’ dunk, and one possession later, Brennen Shetina scored to tie the game at 31.

After Shetina’s field goal, Coal City’s Segal Arias was called for a technical foul. Reed-Custer went on to make four straight free throws after that, but Coal City responded and got the score to 36-35 by halftime when Lane Cowherd scored his eighth basket of the half.

With Coal City trailing, 57-53, in the third quarter, Shetina attempted and missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer. However, Peters was able to tip the ball into the basket before the buzzer finished sounding to make the score, 57-55, heading into the fourth quarter.

Peters’ night would come to an abrupt end, though, as he fouled out with 6:28 to play – ending the night with 18 points. From there on in it seemed like an uphill battle for Coal City as they turned the ball over countless times against the Comets’ press.

Coal City did get to within three points, but it quickly went all downhill from there for the Coalers.

Reed-Custer closed the game by scoring 16 of the next 21 points points in the Interstate Eight contest before wrapping up the win.

“Whenever Reed-Custer and Coal City get together, it’s going to be physical and it’s going to be intense,” Reed-Custer coach Mark Porter said. “What made it even more intense was that they were 4-0 in conference and we were 4-1 coming in. That put even more on top of it tonight.”

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Morris Daily Herald.