A Few Clouds
31°FA Few CloudsFull Forecast

Carbon Hill home damaged by fire

Published: Thursday, Feb. 13, 2014 10:04 a.m. CDT • Updated: Friday, Feb. 14, 2014 9:55 p.m. CDT

COAL CITY – A home in the Carbon Hill area sustained damage after a fire started in the basement.

The Coal City Fire Protection District was called at 5:42 p.m. Wednesday to 685 N. First St. in Carbon Hill for the possible basement fire, according to a news release from the district.

Fire crews arrived to find smoke coming from the crawl space and interior of the house.

Firefighters were able to quickly control the spread of fire and contain it so fire damage was limited to two rooms of the home. Firefighters were on the scene for less than three hours.

Following an investigation by the  Coal City fire district, it was determined to have been caused by the residents having used an open flame heater to thaw out pipes below the home. Damage estimates to the structure and contents are around $50,000, according to the release.

“Crews did a great job, working hard to keep the fire in one area of the home,” Deputy Chief Jim Seerup said in the news release.

He also reminded everyone that “during these cold times to use proper heating techniques when thawing pipes such as hot water or electrical heaters and not use open flame sources.”

The Coal City fire district was assisted by Wilmington, Braidwood, Morris, Gardner, Braceville and Manhattan fire departments. One person was treated and released at the scene.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Morris Daily Herald.