Light Rain Fog/Mist
47°FLight Rain Fog/MistFull Forecast

Hines Mobile Medical Unit and Vet Center continues service to Grundy County Veterans

Published: Friday, March 21, 2014 10:18 p.m. CDT

MORRIS – The VA’s Vet Center will be offering service to Grundy County Veterans from 9 a.m. to noon April 3 in the community room of Morris City Hall, 700 N. Division St.

In addition, the Veterans Mobile Medical Unit (MMU) from Edward Hines Jr. VA Hospital will make its monthly visit to Morris on April 7. The MMU will be parked from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Morris American Legion, 212 W. Washington St. in Morris.

Veterans who wish to receive care from these Veterans Health Administration providers need to be enrolled with the VHA or they can bring a copy of their DD Form 214 to validate eligibility and get enrolled.

“Our monthly visits of both of these services from the VA have been successful. We were informed this week that the Hines Mobile Unit has added a nurse practitioner to the staff, which will enable the MMU to provide additional health services on site. This is part of the [Grundy County Veterans Assistance Commission’s] goal of working with the VA and other agencies to provide as many veteran services in Grundy County as we can,” said Ken Buck of the VAC, in a news release.

“If you are interested in VA health care or just need to know what is available from the VHA, please visit the MMU and ask the staff, they are here to help you,” he continued.

Some of the services the Vet Center can offer to Grundy County veterans are individual and group counseling for veterans and their families; family counseling for military related issues; bereavement counseling for families who experience an active duty death; military sexual trauma counseling and referral; outreach and education; substance abuse assessment and referral; employment assessment and referral; screening and referral for medical issues including TBI, depression; and more, according to the release.

To make an appointment or learn more about the services available please contact the Vet Center at 708-444-0561 or 877-927-8387, or visit For information about the Grundy County VAC call 815-941-3152.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Morris Daily Herald.