Mostly Cloudy
54°FMostly CloudyFull Forecast

Thousands remain without power after storms

Published: Monday, June 30, 2014 11:17 p.m. CST • Updated: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 11:49 a.m. CST
(Heidi Litchfield –
A tree fell on a truck in Morris after a strong storm blew threw the area Monday night.
(Heidi Litchfield –
rews were battling late Monday night an electric wire fire at Chapin and Benton in Morris.

MORRIS – Thousands of people remained without power Tuesday morning after severe storms and high winds caused widespread damage in Grundy County on Monday night.

"A lot of roads have been made impassable by fallen limbs and trees," Chief Tracey Steffes of the Morris Fire Protection & Ambulance District said late Monday.

The National Weather Service plans to send storm damage survey teams into areas hit the hardest, which includes Morris, according to The Associated Press.

As of 6:45 a.m. Tuesday, a power outage map on ComEd's website showed numerous outages scattered throughout Grundy County, with thousands affected.

A flood advisory remains in effect until 10:45 a.m. Wednesday for the Illinois River at Morris, as up to 2 inches of rain fell in Morris during the last 24 hours. The river was at 9.5 feet at 9:45 p.m. Monday; action stage is 13 feet and flood stage is 16 feet, according to the weather service. The river is predicted to rise to near 13.8 feet by Wednesday morning. Those who encounter a flooded roadway are advised to turn around and find an alternate route.

About 85 to 90 percent of Morris was out of power as of 11 p.m., Steffes said, including Morris Hospital, which was put on bypass. The hospital reopened at 7 a.m. Tuesday.

Several residences had small fires in their yards. A family who lived on Lisbon Road initially was trapped inside their home due to weather damage. Fire crews were "on top" of getting the family out and to safety, Steffes said.

Morris Police Chief Brent Dite said traffic was shut down about 11 p.m. on Route 47 north of Interstate 80 due to an accident involving a camper and a semi. Lisbon Road north of George Street also was down to one lane due to flooding and trees being down on the road.

Dite said there were reports that Coal City and Diamond also were hit hard from the weather, but information was still limited late Monday night.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Morris Daily Herald.