College planning class offered for parents
MORRIS – Parents of high school students graduating in 2015 and 2016 are invited to a free college planning class from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Sept. 25 at the Grundy County Administration Center, 1320 Union St.
This class is for all parents with college-bound students. The class will focus on incoming high school juniors and seniors (all grade levels are welcome). Parents, bring your students.
In this informal class you will learn:
• Insights into the SAT/ACT tests and tips on how to score higher
• How to help students know which colleges to apply to
• What the more selective colleges really want to see in your student’s application
• The five questions to ask colleges before applying
• How to maximize your potential for scholarships, grants and other gift-aid
• Why procrastination may cost a family thousands of dollars
Seating is limited, reservations are necessary. Call 815-434-0395 to reserve your seats or register at http://collegerx.eventbrite.com. Financial aid comes in many different forms from a variety of sources. Our research and program guides families to uncover their greatest opportunities.
Mystery Eats back at Newark Library
NEWARK – Mystery Eats the adult book discussion is starting back up in September at the Charles B. Phillips Library in Newark. Stop in now at the library to pick up “Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth” by Tamar Myers. Then at 7 p.m. Thursday, bring in one of the recipes within the mystery. Eat, discuss and enjoy.
Morris Kiwanis Club will host its first Trivia Night
MORRIS – The Morris Kiwanis Club has scheduled its first Trivia Night Contest fundraiser for 6 p.m. Oct. 18. The event will be at the Moose Lodge in Morris.
Teams of 10 members will compete for bragging rights. Anyone interested in taking part should get a team together and let the club know so a table can be reserved. The cost of the event is $20 a team member. The event will feature a cash bar, and each table will be provided a pizza during the event. Contact any club member if interested in being involved, or email Don McKinney at email@example.com. Call 815-861-1663.
Seneca 80s reunion
to be held in October
SENECA – An all-’80s reunion has been planned for the weekend of Oct. 3 by a committee of Seneca High School alumni for classes from 1980-89. Activities will begin with the Seneca Homecoming football game Friday and continue through Saturday night, with an ice breaker, options for a golf outing, bean bag tournament or school tour, afternoon social event and culminating with a hog roast and live entertainment.
If you are in any of the applicable classes and wish to register for any of the events and have not been contacted for your email or mailing address, call 815-258-5885 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your class year with your information. If you need information, inquire by phone or email, as well.
Morris Library bus trip to Shipshewana, Indiana
The Morris Area Public Library will take a bus trip to Shipshewana, Indiana, 8:30 a.m. Oct. 7. The bus will leave the library for an all-day excursion, returning to Morris at about 7:45 p.m. Cost is $32 a person, including transportation. Register and pay by Sunday and you will be entered into a drawing for a refund. Two people will go for free. Call 815-942-6880 to register.
The Morris Area Public Library is at 604 Liberty St. in Morris.
Fossil Ridge Public Library schedules events
BRAIDWOOD – Fossil Ridge Public Library, 386 W. Kennedy Road in Braidwood, has scheduled the following events for September:
• Monday to Sept. 29 – Monday evening lapsits 5:45 p.m. Registration required. Ages birth to 3 years; Monday evening storytime 5:45 p.m. Registration required. Ages 3 to 5 years.
• Tuesday to Sept. 30 – Tuesday morning tinkering lab 10:15 a.m. Registration required. Ages 2 to 12; Read to a Therapy Dog at 5 p.m. Registration required. Grades Kindergarten through third.
• Tuesday – Guitar Club, 6 to 7 p.m. Jam session, everyone welcome.
• Wednesday – Organizing for everyone, 6 to 7 p.m. Registration required.
• Thursday Teen movie, showing “Divergent” from 5 to 7 p.m.
• Thursday and Sept. 25 – Smarty Paints, 3:45 to 4:30 p.m. Registration required. Grades third through fifth.
• Sept. 15 – Board of Trustees meeting, 6:30 p.m.
• Sept. 16 – Scrapbooking Club, 10 a.m.
• Sept. 18 to 25 – Thursday afternoon tinkering lab 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Registration required. Toddler to sixth grade; Junior Friends of the Library meeting, 4 to 5 p.m.; Teen Game Night, 5 to 7 p.m.
• Sept. 22 – Adult Book Club discussing Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones, 6:30 p.m.
• Sept. 24 – Illinois Ghosts and the Afterlife, 6 to 7 p.m. All ages welcome.
• Sept. 25 – Crocheted fingerless gloves for teens, 5 to 7 p.m. registration required.
For information see the library’s newsletter, go to www.fossilridge.org or call 815-458-2187.
To register for a program, come to the Library or visit the Bookmobile.