Heavy Rain Fog/Mist
42°FHeavy Rain Fog/MistFull Forecast

Police confirm man shot his daughters, wife

Published: Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:30 a.m. CDT
(Sandy Bressner - sbressner@shawmedia.com)
St. Charles resident Bonnie Kampen places flowers at a memorial site on the 400 block of South First Street in downtown St. Charles, where three people were found dead Friday from gunshot wounds and a fourth was taken to Northwestern Delnor Hospital in Geneva. St. Charles police officials said 16-year-old twins Brittany S. Coffland and Tiffany S. Coffland were among the dead. "I'm just a mom," Kampen said.
(Sandy Bressner - sbressner@shawmedia.com)
A memorial sits outside the condominium complex in the 400 block of south First Street in downtown St. Charles where three people were found dead from gunshot wounds and a fourth was taken to Northwestern Delnor Hospital in Geneva March 10. St. Charles Police officials reported that two of the deceased were two teenage females.
(Sandy Bressner - sbressner@shawmedia.com)
Friends of Brittany and Tiffany Coffland console one another at a memorial outside the condominium complex, where they were found shot to death March 10 in St. Charles.

ST. CHARLES – Randall Coffland told a 911 dispatcher Friday that he shot his daughters to death, that he shot his wife, and he was going to shoot himself.

“I just shot and killed my children,” Randall Coffland is heard saying on a 911 recording. “And I shot my wife. And I’m going to shoot myself. … I’m going to kill myself now, too.”

At a news conference Sunday, St. Charles Deputy Chief David Kintz released the 911 tapes in addition to chilling details about the deaths of 16-year-old twins Brittany S. Coffland and Tiffany S. Coffland at the hands of their father.

Even as Randall Coffland was telling the 911 dispatcher what he had done, his wife, Anjum Coffland, 46, can be heard screaming to another emergency dispatcher that her husband had killed her girls and shot her in the legs.

“Oh my God, my husband shot my kids!” Anjum Coffland said to the 911 operator. “My daughters are dead! … I’m going into shock. I’ve lost a lot of blood. … He’s finally lost it.”

Randall Coffland, 48, and his daughters all were found with single gunshot wounds to their heads in a condominium at 450 S. First St., St. Charles, where he lived with the girls, Kintz said.

His wife was taken to Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital, where she was listed in stable condition Sunday, Kintz said.

The girls would have celebrated their 17th birthdays Tuesday, Kintz said.

Randall Coffland and the twins were living at the South First Street address, while Anjum Coffland was living separately from her husband in another condominium on South Fifth Avenue in St. Charles. Kintz said he did not know how long they had been living apart.

Two 9 mm handguns were recovered in the condo, but Kintz said police have not yet confirmed that they were owned by Randall Coffland, or which weapon – or whether both – were used in the shootings.

One gun was in the vicinity of Randall Coffland; the other was found in a closet, Kintz said. Evidence technicians found a single bullet casing in the vicinity of each victim, he said. A single bullet injured both of Anjum Coffland’s legs, he said.

“The weapons are still part of our investigation … to determine where the weapons came from. He did have a valid FOID card,” Kintz said, referring to the firearm owners identification card that gun owners are required to have.

“We have no indication of a struggle, other than the violence of the crime with gunshots,” Kintz said. “As far as I know, there was nothing strewn about to show there was a fight. The coroner will have to take a look at that on Monday.”

One daughter was found on a couch and the other in a bedroom, he said.

Police spoke to the mother at the hospital, but Kintz said he did not know the content of those conversations.

Kintz also could not say why Anjum Coffland was at her husband’s residence that day.

“We have to figure out what brought her back to the apartment,” Kintz said.

Police do not know what, if anything, triggered the chain of events, and investigators plan to talk to friends and others who knew the family, Kintz said.

“We don’t have anything at this point,” Kintz said. “That is part of the follow-up – we have to talk to people and determine what led to this. … This was a tragic and horrific event. Three lives were lost, and another was injured. First responders have also had to deal with the aftermath of this event, and our entire community mourns the loss of the victims.”

Kintz said that although the shootings still are under investigation by both his department and the Kane County Major Crimes Task Force, the official causes of death will be determined by the coroner.

Investigators also are in consultation with the Kane County State’s Attorney’s Office, Kintz said.

Randall Coffland did not have any previous history of domestic violence, Kintz said.

Police were called to the Fifth Avenue address about a month ago for domestic trouble, but there were no charges, Kintz said.

Previous Page|1|2|Next Page

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Morris Daily Herald.