MORRIS — The Morris Fire Protection District was called to a house fire in the 8500 block of Ashley Road at 10 p.m. on Friday.
When the firefighters arrived, the fire had vented out of the kitchen window, but they were able to contain the fire to the kitchen and it was extinguished.
Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Wilson said that the damage was estimated at $150,000.
"It was what we call a room and contents fire," Wilson said. "The room [kitchen] and the contents were destroyed, but it did not spread to other rooms in the house. There was a lot of heat, water and smoke damage."
Wilson said that the fire is still under investigation, but it originated in the kitchen. He also said that there was an occupant of the house at home when the fire started, and that person went to a neighbor's house to call the fire department.
A dog in the house also got out, but a cat died in the fire.