Digital Access

Digital Access
Access morrisherald-news.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Mail Delivery

Mail Delivery
We’ve got you covered! Get the best in local news, sports, community events, with focus on what’s coming up for the weekend. Weekly packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Have our latest news, sports and obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in Morris and Grundy County.
Local

Breaking: No one injured after Channahon Junior High fire alarm

Smoke was reported in boys' locker room

Shaw Media file photo
Shaw Media file photo

No one was injured Wednesday morning after Channahon fire officials responded to Channahon Junior High School for a report of smoke in the boys' locker room.

Channahon fire and police personnel responded about 8:45 a.m. Wednesday to the school, located at 24917 W. Sioux Drive, after the fire alarm sounded, Channahon Police Deputy Chief Adam Bogart said in a news release.

All students and staff quickly evacuated, and everyone was accounted for, according to the release.

Firefighters located a fan in the locker room that appeared to be causing the problem and extinguished the threat.

Students were able to return to class about 45 minutes after the alarm sounded, Bogart said. The school will operate on a normal schedule for the rest of the day, and end-of-the-day pick-up will take place as normal. Buses will also operate on a normal schedule.

Firefighters from Minooka and Troy assisted Channahon firefighters on the scene.

Nick Henkle, superintendent of Channahon School District 17, said a small exhaust fan began to smolder early in the school day. It was noticed during a passing period.

"As soon as we saw the smoke we pulled the fire alarm," he said. He said the students and staff exited the building and waited for first responders to arrive.

Henkle said the smoldering exhaust fan never turned into a larger fire.

"We found the culprit and removed it," he said.

Loading more