The Community Foundation of Grundy County provides a unique pathway for donors to give to causes they are care about all while bettering life in Grundy County.
So how does a community foundation work? It all starts with donors who have a passion. Those donors can use their gifts to create funds at a community foundation. Distributions from those funds then are granted out to charitable organizations.
All of us at the Community Foundation of Grundy County would agree we would like for people to give where and when they feel most comfortable.
For some donors, it is giving to one charity they have a particular tie to or interest in, other donors like giving to specific issues or purpose. Some prefer to give a one-time gift to a particular project or program and still others prefer to give to a cause forever, even after they are gone.
So why should someone give through the Community Foundation of Grundy County? While there are many reasons to give through a community foundation, we have come up with a top 10.
1. We are a local organization with deep roots in the community. Our board and staff at the Community Foundation of Grundy County all have a vested interest in Grundy County because our families live here. When Grundy County thrives, we see the benefits firsthand.
2. Our staff has broad expertise regarding community issues and needs. Coming from diverse professional backgrounds, as well as having diverse interests allows our board and staff the ability to keep a pulse on important community needs.
3. We provided personalized service to each person’s charitable and financial interest. Staff members understand there is not a one-size-fits-all checklist when it comes to donors. We are happy to work one-on-one with donors to ensure their charitable goals are met.
4. Our funds help people invest in the causes they care about. Again, we are happy to work one-on-one with donors to design a fund that really influences causes the individual donor cares about.
5. We accept a wide variety of assets and can facilitate complex forms of giving. Community foundations have the ability to accept gifts of cash, stock, land and more.
6. We partner with professional advisers to create effective approaches to charitable giving. In the past, the Community Foundation of Grundy County has worked with local attorneys and professional advisers to create a path for their clients to be charitable now and forever.
7. We offer tax advantages for most gifts under federal law. The Community Foundation of Grundy County is able to offer tax advantages in accordance with IRS regulations.
8. We multiply the impact of gift dollars by pooling them with other gifts and grants. While some of our funds only have one donor, many funds, such as our field of interest funds, allow for anyone to contribute and be part of something larger than their own personal giving.
9. We build endowment funds that benefit the community forever and help create personal legacies. Because staff members keep up on the organizations who serve Grundy County, as well as the community needs, we are able to advise donors in creating endowment funds that will impact specific issues or charities near and dear to each individual donor.
10. We are a community leader, convening agencies and coordinating resources to create positive change. Staff members at the Community Foundation of Grundy County are in constant contact with other organizations and agencies who serve Grundy County, which allows us to have a great working relationship with those providing direct services in Grundy County.
If you are interested in learning more about creating a fund at the Community Foundation of Grundy County, we’d love to sit down with you to create a vision for what could be accomplished with a fund you create. Give us a call at 815-941-0852.
• Devan Gagliardo is the program director for the Community Foundation of Grundy County